On that miraculous border as the sun ascends and the wheel of the year turns from the dark half to the light, springtime inspires projects. It asks us to clear the decks, plant seeds, nurture growth, emphasize expansion, and expect magic.
With this in mind, I thought I’d spark your magical creativity with these five suggestions.
1. Clear and organize your bookshelf. It may sound mundane, but clearing and organizing your bookshelf can be quite the magical act. Getting rid of books you don’t really like or that you’ll never open again actually creates mental clarity and makes room for new ideas and perspectives to come rushing in. Refresh your bookshelf and refresh your mind! (P.S. If you’re reluctant to get rid of a book even though you’re pretty sure you’ll never open it again, donate it to your local library. Then, you can always check it out if necessary, and other people in your community can enjoy it in the meantime. Bonus: this way, you’re shifting stuck energy into generosity and flow, and this will help draw abundance, as like always attracts like!)
2. Choose intentions and plant actual seeds. After the new moon (this Sunday), light a candle and sit down with a notebook. Brainstorm intentions and things you’d like to manifest, writing them as if they’re already true. For example, you might write, “I am in a romantic relationship that nourishes my spirit and brings me great joy,” “Money and resources flow into my life in abundance,” etc. Choose 5 or 6 that you’d really like to nourish this season, and write them out neatly. When this feels complete, immediately go outside and plant seeds in pots or in your garden. Nurture them with love, knowing that as you do so, you are symbolically nurturing your intentions as well.
3. Create informal (or formal) altars to your favorite unseen helpers. If you’re like me, there are some helpers (angels, deities, etc.) that you like to call on every single day. Because these helpers are so especially helpful for you, and because they are such a big part of your life, it’s appropriate to have at least one small representation of each somewhere in your home. For example, I have a little statue of the cat goddess Bast next to my cats’ food dishes. On my fridge, I have a number of gift card images of deities I like to call on for various purposes, and I also have framed pictures of saints and angels in various locations throughout my home, including on my altar. Once you have images of these beings that feel powerful and appropriate to you, perhaps once a day (or so), light a candle or a stick of incense, and move around your home, offering a few seconds of devotion and gratitude to each image. This will strengthen your bond with each helper and will activate the flow of helpful energy between you.
4. Make a floral luck and romance-drawing mist potion. Roses are said to have the purest and most loving vibration of any living thing, honeysuckle is lucky, and rose geranium is highly balancing, heart-opening, and energizing. With all this in mind, add 6-9 drops rose geranium essential oil and 4-5 drops honeysuckle flower essence to a mister of rose water. Close the lid and shake gently. Hold it in both hands and visualize very bright pink light filling the mister like a little rosy-pink sun. Say, “I clear the way for luck, I magnetize luck. I clear the way for romance, I magnetize romance. Being lucky and being in love characterize my divine and natural state. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Blessed be. And so it is.” Mist yourself and your space generously, frequently, and as desired.
5. Sweep your doorstep. A classic tidbit of feng shui wisdom goes, “If you can only perform one act of feng shui, sweep your doorstep.” This is because the front door is considered the “mouth of chi” (the place where life force energy enters your home and your life), and sweeping it is a powerful affirmation of clearing the way for positivity to flow. And this is perfect for spring! Perhaps anoint your broom with a floral essential oil (such as lavender, neroli, or rose geranium) and/or tie fresh herbs and/or blossoms onto the broomstick or near the bottom of the broom. Hold your broom in sunlight and allow the sunlight to bless it and activate it with positive energy. Then sweep. As you do so, envision clearing the way for all good things to enter your home and life.