As you may know, the chakras are wheels of energy that appear along the central meridian of your body’s vibrational field. There are seven main chakras, and each corresponds with a color of the rainbow.
The chakra system is a powerful diagnostic tool. When chakra imbalances show up as physical feelings of tension or pain in the area where the chakra lies, it’s a useful tipoff to what’s going on in your energy field. (For example, repeated migraine headaches may be related to an imbalance in your third eye chakra, and chronic digestive issues may indicate a sacral chakra block.) Once you know which chakra(s) can use healing, you become empowered to work on the energetic level to heal mind, body, and spirit.
Before we get to the chakra healing strategies, here’s a quick overview of each energy center. (You can skip ahead if you’re already familiar with these.)
Your root chakra resides at your tailbone area. It corresponds with the color red. When this chakra is balanced and activated, you feel safe, grounded, at home in your physical body, and secure in the knowledge that you are entitled to take up space in the earthly realm.
Your sacral chakra resides at your lower belly, below your bellybutton. It corresponds with the color orange. When this chakra is balanced and activated, you feel sensually alive, emotionally fluid, and comfortable with your sexuality.
Your solar plexus chakra resides at your upper belly, above your bellybutton. It corresponds with the color yellow. When this chakra is balanced and activated, you feel powerful: you know that you are completely empowered to manifest the life conditions you desire.
Your heart chakra resides in the middle of your chest, at your emotional center. It corresponds with the color green. When this chakra is balanced and activated, you feel loving, loved, and lovable. Love flows freely from and to you. You feel emotion deeply, and may tear up easily (with sad or happy tears).
Your throat chakra resides in the center of your neck area. It corresponds with the color blue. When this chakra is balanced and activated, your thoughts and emotions flow freely from you in the form of words and sounds, whether written, spoken, or sung. You feel comfortable speaking your truth clearly and with love.
Your third eye chakra resides in the center of your forehead. It corresponds with the color indigo. When this chakra is balanced and activated, you perceive the subtle energetic reality that underlies all things. You are in touch with your intuition and your deep inner knowing.
Your crown chakra resides at the top of your head. It corresponds with the colors white, lavender, and violet. When this chakra is balanced and activated, you feel inspired, and connected to All That Is. You know that you are much, much more than your finite human identity, in this tiny little corner of time and space.
Whether you want to heal one, two, or all seven chakras, here are seven effective strategies to try.
1. Flower Essences are vibrational remedies that can be taken under the tongue or in water to subtly (yet powerfully) bring about positive energetic shifts. While they sound similar to aromatherapy oils, they are quite different: in fact, they possess no scent at all, as they are simply the healing vibration of a blossom, preserved in brandy and water. You can find them at most health food stores. You might consider the following flower essence remedies for each chakra:
2. Crystals are excellent allies when it comes to shifting chakra imbalances. Like flower essences, they also work on the vibrational level to affect positive change. Below, you’ll find helpful crystals for each chakra. Once you choose one, cleanse it by placing it in bright sunlight, running water, or sage smoke for 2-5 minutes. Then lie flat and place it on or near the chakra that could use healing. Relax, breathe, and allow your energy to shift.
Root Chakra: Garnet, Red Jasper, Ruby
Sacral Chakra: Citrine, Tangerine Aura Quartz, Carnelian
Solar Plexus Chakra: Topaz, Yellow Jasper, Golden Calcite, Amber
Heart Chakra: Aventurine, Jade, Kunzite, Rose Quartz
Throat Chakra: Aqua Aura, Aquamarine, Celestite
Third Eye Chakra: Sodalite, Lapis Lazuli, Blue Topaz
Crown Chakra: Clear Quartz, Spirit Quartz, Lepidolite, Amethyst
3. Aromatherapy can have an extremely healthful effect on our mind, body. Diffusing one or more of the following essential oils (with an oil burner or diffuser) can help bring about the desired chakra healing.
Root Chakra: Patchouli, Vetiver
Sacral Chakra: Ylang Ylang, Jasmine
Solar Plexus Chakra: Orange, Tangerine, Lemon
Heart Chakra: Geranium, Rose
Throat Chakra: Rosemary, Sage, Clary Sage
Third Eye Chakra: Rosewood, Peppermint
Crown Chakra: Frankincense, Cedar, Lavender
4. Visualization is a way of channeling the mind’s considerable power toward shifting energetic conditions. While breathing deeply, you can envision yourself cocooned in bright light. White light is perfectly balancing to all chakras, but you can also envision the light in the color of the chakra you want to heal. A guided chakra clearing visualization (like this one) can also be helpful, especially when you do it on a regular basis.
5. Sea Salt Baths intensely detoxify the energy field, as well as the physical body. For an overall chakra tuneup and aura cleanse, dissolve a cup of sea salt in a warm bath. Light a white candle and soak for at least 20 minutes.
6. White Sage Smoke also provides an overall energy tuneup, and is much quicker than a bath. Simply light a bundle of dried white sage so that it’s smoking like incense. Making sure to catch any burning embers on a dish or a plate, move the sage bundle around your energy field so that you’re essentially bathing in the smoke. Then safely extinguish the sage by running it under water or sealing it in a mason jar.
7. A Selenite Wand is another overall detoxifier and energy balancer, and it won’t set off any smoke alarms. Use it to brush your energy field (about a foot or so from your physical body), paying special attention to any chakra areas you’re especially wanting to heal. Afterwards, cleanse it by placing it in bright sunlight. (Don’t run it under water, as it will dissolve over time.)