Below you’ll find the best ones I can think of.
1. Create stuff. When I create stuff regularly, my skin glows and my eyes sparkle. Plus I have this really great feeling in my whole belly area, as if I’m reclining in the warm sun of a tropical beach. I like to write, cook, and decorate my house, but maybe you like to paint, or sing, garden, or make your own natural perfume.
2. Relax deeply. Have you ever noticed that a relaxed person is an attractive person? It’s so entrancing to watch someone who feels comfortable in her skin and languorous in her body. So no matter how busy I may be, I do my best to balance out the business with a good dose of relaxation. (As demonstrated by pretty much every suggestion in this post.)
3. Spend time in nature. There is no cosmetic quite as effective as breathing fresh air, walking on soil, or soaking in sunlight. Hugging trees and meditating with flowers is also good.
4. Laugh a lot. Authentic, deep laughter relaxes the belly, opens the heart, and dials us right into the divine. It also boosts the immune system, improves our vibration, and gives us a genuinely healthy glow. And have you ever noticed how easy on the eyes someone becomes when they’re laughing? You don’t want to look away.
5. Have an open heart. When your heart is open, you know it. You feel connected to everyone and inspired by the beauty of everything. Tears of joy or compassion are always on deck, ready to pour out at a moment’s notice. Other people know it too, even if they don’t know they know it: you radiate peace and calm, and waves of bliss follow in your wake.
6. Eat clean. I’ve tried a lot of diet trends over the years, and have not been immune to our cultural dysfunction around food. But in the last few years, I seem to have found my groove: clean eating. For me, this means eating real, whole food: fruits, vegetables, grains, beans, nuts, and seeds, and only water and tea to drink (not even fruit juice, which acts on your system like sugar). Since eating this way, I’ve saved a ton of money and I truly feel awesome in every way. If it sounds hard, it is: but only for the first month. After that, your taste buds change and fresh raspberries (for example) are every bit as satisfying as a chocolate bar.
7. Get lots of sleep. So many expensive cosmetics are created to give us what we can get from a good night’s sleep: bright eyes, youthful skin, and a radiant glow…And that’s just the very tip of the iceberg when it comes to the benefits of sleep. So make sure your bed is super comfy and luxurious, your bedroom is restful and clutter-free, and you have a way to block out all light, including the light from digital clocks. (I use a sleep mask like Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, which is also just fun.)
8. Live simply. As I describe in this blog post, decluttering doesn’t just promote relaxation (see above), it also corresponds with vibrant energy and a healthy body weight. And keeping life simple means keeping things joyful, fresh, and laughter-filled – which of course makes you sparkle! In the words of Henry David Thoreau, “As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude; poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.” I would add, “Aging will not be aging, stress will not be stress.”
9. Tune into your womb. In our culture, we get the idea that our wisdom resides in our brain. But for those of us of the feminine persuasion, there is so much wisdom in our womb area. (This is true whether or not you have a physical womb.) And when we shift into “thinking” from our womb, we palpably shift into our Goddess-selves. So throughout the day, I like to remember to tune into my womb when I’m making a decision, deciding how I feel about something, or just enjoying being in my body.
10. Remember your power. As I discuss in this video, you never have to be at the mercy of any person, place, or situation. You are always empowered to create positive change according to your will. When you remember this, you own your charisma and plug into the source of your radiance.
11. Exercise. Exercise not only keeps your body and brain youthful, it also keeps your aura buoyant and bright. It might be a bit of a challenge to get into the habit at first, but when you find the right thing and do it enough, it can become an addiction in the best possible way. For the past couple of years, I’ve been a fitnessblender.com devotee (I love their 8 week programs!), but I’ve gone through many phases in my quest to maintain enthusiasm, including pole dancing and kundalini yoga.
12. Wear what you love. If I love something, I wear it. I don’t do what I used to do and say, “Oh, I love this, but it just isn’t me.” If I love it, why isn’t it me? Maybe it’s an aspect of me I haven’t fully embodied yet, but all the more reason to wear it! My love for it is a sign that I’m ready to express even more dimensions of myself. How fun!
13. Take epsom salt and lavender baths. When you dissolve 2 cups of epsom salt and 5-10 drops of essential oil of lavender in a hot bath, it is sooooooooo relaxing to the body and mind. That’s why I generally do so once a week.
14. Experience pleasure. Sexual pleasure doesn’t just make you instantly more beautiful in every way, it’s truly amazing for your health. Plus, it’s so…pleasurable! So you might as well experience it as much as humanly possible, alone or with a partner. Non-sexual pleasure also counts: eating fresh pineapple, getting a massage, and (literally) stopping to smell the roses.
15. Drink lots of water. Lots and lots of good, clean water is the best beauty deal out there. It keeps your skin hydrated, cleanses your inner organs, and literally helps every aspect of your body function. So invest in a water bottle you love (it helps keep you motivated to drink), and find a method of water purification that works for you.
16. Meditate. Meditation is so, so, so good for you: it doesn’t just make your brain work better, it makes your entire body work better, down to the cellular level. I recommend doing it every day, and pairing it with a good aura cleanse and divine tune-in to boost your energy and fuel your inner glow.
17. Love your liver and get in good with your gut. When you keep your liver cleansed and your gut bacteria balanced, your mind and body will both love you for it. Your skin will glow, your digestion will flourish, and your moods will thrive. That’s why two of my favorite health supplements are milk thistle (for my liver) and a high quality probiotic (for my gut). My low sugar diet also helps!
18. Don’t buy into the age propaganda. I never, ever, ever say, “Oh, I forgot that because I’m getting old,” or “My body just doesn’t work the way it used to.” Ever. Our thoughts, beliefs, and expectations are powerful: I strongly subscribe to the belief that if we feel and believe that our bodies are working as well or better as they always have, then they will absolutely do so. I’m 39 and I’m in the best shape of my life.
19. Breathe consciously. Breathing deeply happens naturally when we simply bring our attention to our breath. And it’s something we can get in the habit of doing again and again throughout the day. When you’re driving or waiting in line for example, you can think, “In,” when you’re breathing in, and “Out,” when you’re breathing out. Just a short period of doing this can relax your muscles, open your heart, and bring you into the present moment, all of which access the fullness of your natural attractiveness, instantly making you look about 10 times more beautiful than you did before.
20. Live passionately. Finally, we can’t bore ourselves to tears and expect to be beautiful. We have to feel our passion. We have to speak our truth. We have to be bold and take risks. We have to love everything like our hearts are on fire.
P.S. If you like this post, you’ll probably love my book Magical Fashionista: Dress for the Life You Want.