Over and above the elegant appearance of it, I love the magical connotations of painting one nail a different color than the others. What I mean is, each finger has different metaphysical properties, so singling out from the rest – especially when done with intention – can help you activate and enhance certain energies. Here’s a key:
- The thumb represents logic, will, intellect, and mental abilities.
- The index finger represents focus, personal power, masculine energy, projection expansion, and wealth.
- The middle finger represents anger, sexuality, boundaries, and challenges.
- The ring finger represents commitments, receptivity, feminine energy, and gentleness.
- The pinky finger represents quick thinking, coordination, travel, and harmonious flow.
Oh, and the left hand is femininity/receptivity, while the right is masculinity/projection. You can choose to do the same finger a different color on both hands, or just one, or different colors on each. You can also take into account the mystical connotations of the colors you choose, and even employ imagery (AKA nail art) if you’re feeling fancy.