Do you believe in fairies? I do. I consider them nature spirits: the conscious beings that inhabit all the many and varied expressions of the natural world.
And if you’d like to call in a bit of their whimsy, wildness, and magic, here are ten things that will entice them into your yard (and life).
1. A Hummingbird Feeder. Hummingbirds are fairy creatures themselves, and fairies attract more fairies.
2. A Bird Bath. Once fairies discover your bird bath, they’ll claim it as their own personal swimming pool, and they’ll have a hard time staying away – particularly during the hot summer months.
3. A Gazing Ball. Fairies adore shiny things. And spherical shiny things are like fairy kryptonite.
4. Wind Chimes. Tiny little melodic wind chimes (and also bells) make a sound that fairies can’t resist.
5. Libations in Walnut Shells. Fairies love to party! Throw the fairy party of the year in your yard by offering them beer or champagne, using walnut shells as cups.
6. Crystals. Many fairies consider colorful, shiny, and/or sparkly crystals to be very precious treasures indeed.
7. A Fairy House. Making your own fairy house of natural and biodegradable materials (like the one pictured at the top of this post) is a wonderful way to express your creativity while also inviting fairies to take up residence in your yard.
8. Fairy Garden Art. Decorating your yard with one or more fairy statues (or other fairy art) sends a clear message: i.e. fairies welcome here.
9. Flowers. Where there are flowers, there are fairies. Flowers with a particular affinity for fairies include lilacs, bluebells, vervain, foxglove, yarrow, daisies, violets, and pansies.
10. Mood Lighting. Fairies simply cannot abide harsh or non-magical lighting. So be sure to light your yard with things like twinkle lights, colorful solar lights, and basically any whimsical lighting scheme that evokes the sense that you are in fairyland.
P.S. Think you might actually BE a fairy? You could be right! Check out these 8 signs that you are a fairy-person.