Get in touch with your unique personal power with these illuminating journal exercises.
“My new awareness of the Goddess spilled over as a new awareness of trees and landscapes, so that what had seemed matter of fact and dull now began to vibrate with sentience. I would find myself staring at a eucalyptus tree as if it were a lover, or looking out over a landscape with the feeling that it was alive and breathing.”
~ Sally Kempton, Awakening Shakti
(This is an excerpt from my book, You Are Magical.)
Ever since you were a child, magic has called to you.
Even when the grownups told you it was all just make-believe, you could never entirely dismiss the idea that power flows from your fingertips, your dreams carry messages from the beyond, and maybe – just maybe – you can adjust, fine-tune, and craft your world to match your desires.
What’s more, you feel a pulsating power and presence emanating from the natural world. It speaks to you – not necessarily through words, but through the beauty of a butterfly, the fragrance of fresh rain on dry ground, the sound of wind in the trees, the vast expanse of glittering stars, or the moment when the sun shines through rain to broadcast a rainbow.
Why is that, do you think?
Well, I’ll tell you.
It’s because you are magical.
From a quantum perspective, everything is connected. So clearly, you are one with the All, the power that creates and sustains worlds. That power is not separate from you. It belongs to you. It is you. And if magic is the power to create positive change according to your will and desires, well, then, you’ve got to admit it: you (really and truly) are magical.
It follows that you’re meant to live a magical life: a life filled with beauty, wonder, and power.
And just as every musician’s music has its own unique expression and aesthetic signature, your magic is unique to you.
To make contact with your magic and to begin to familiarize yourself with its unique expression, ask yourself: what inspires me? What excites me? What connects me to the Mystery, to Mother Nature, to All That Is?
With this in mind, here are some journaling questions to help you open the door to your magical path.
- What is your favorite flower, or what flowers are particularly beautiful and inspiring to you?
- What is your favorite tree, or what trees are particularly beautiful and inspiring to you?
- What is your favorite animal, or what animals are particularly beautiful and inspiring to you?
- Why did you choose these flowers, trees, and animals? What emotions do you feel when you spend time with them, see them, or call them to mind? What messages do they give you? How might these messages and feelings be significant to your present life experience? What do they show you about yourself? Devote time and attention to each one individually.
- What speaks to your sense of divine connection, or what most aligns you with a feeling of profound spiritual inspiration? It could be a particular god or goddess, an entire spiritual tradition, yoga, a story, crystals, a mythological creature, science, poetry, a country, a historical period, herbal healing, a specific scent or herb, an aspect of the earthly environment, the stars, the space, or anything else. List as many as you like.
- Why did you choose the answers you did for the previous question? What is it about these things, or what feelings to do they give you? How might these feelings or qualities be significant to your present life experience? What do they show you about yourself? Take some time with each one.
That which inspires you – which speaks to your sense of mystery and excitement – provides an instant portal to your expansive landscape of potent personal power.
In addition to acting as your very own guideposts to the Great Mystery and all the power and magic it contains, your answers to the previous questions provide clues to your life’s purpose as well as the unique magical objects, spell ingredients, symbols, and visualizations that will best serve your magical work, now and throughout your lifetime.
Once you’ve completed the above six prompts, you’re ready for number seven. This last one will palpably awaken your magical awareness and power. As you’ll see, it requires more than just writing:
First, turn off your phone and spend time alone in an inspiring, relaxing natural setting. This can be a park or a nature trail, but it can also be your patio or yard, as long as it’s somewhere that inspires you and someplace where you can see plants and the sky.
Do whatever you like: walk, sit on a tree stump, recline on the grass, gaze at a flower or tree, or watch the clouds. The important thing is that you are consciously present with the natural world around you.
As you focus your awareness on the alive, conscious wisdom of nature, announce your commitment to answer the call of your magic: to live your authentic identity as a magic worker. You can speak your commitment aloud or think it silently. Either way, the Great Mystery and the entire natural world will “hear” and understand the energy behind your words. Don’t worry about saying anything formal. Just speak the words that authentically bubble up from your belly and heart.
Take some time afterwards to listen deeply to the wisdom of the Mystery and the natural world. Do you see anything that sparks a deeper understanding? Does anything about the landscape stand out to you? Does any guidance or inspiration seem to magically pop into your head?
After listening deeply for a while without writing, pull out your journal and write anything that feels significant to your magical unfolding.
Check out my book, You Are Magical, here.
Did you try these journaling exercises? What did you think? Please share in the comments.
So much fun! Loved this, thank you!
Wow, what a wonderful article! I am a long time practitioner of magick, but I am going to do these writing prompts. I think they are great for beginners and wonderful refreshers for those of us who have been doing this for a while.
Tess Whitehurst says
Oh, Arriel, great to hear! Thank you for reading and commenting. I hope you enjoy the journaling.